Sunday, August 16, 2009

fasting

So, last week everyone in the house was fasting. I sure some did really well, while others of us were left struggling with their flesh and even doubting if they would ever fast again. We play such tricks on ourselves! I started reading about fasting on Friday and saw how broken I am and how much I need the discipline of fasting in my life. Here is something I read:

"By knowing Jesus as our bridegroom and seeing ourselves as His bride, we will become energized with a spirit of prayer and filled with courage to live lives abandoned to God in holiness. Only then will fasting seem appropriate, reasonable or even wise. The only logical response to God's extravagant love for us is one of whole hearted love, characterized by denying out selves. As we do, we will lay hold of the highest things God has for us."
-Mike Bickle, The Rewards in Fasting

I want to live a life abandoned to God. i need to deny my flesh and learn self control. I need to see the mind games I play on myself. I need to see how broken and weak I am so I can see God as the only thing I have that is keeping me standing. God has so much in store for us, we just need to learn how to say "no" to ourselves and "yes" to Him.

1 comment:

Drew Coffman said...

That's an awesome quote!

I have to agree with that wholeheartedly, it is so funny how when we go through that kind of testing of our flesh it can bring out the worst inside of us. However, instead of running in the other direction, we need to embrace the new feelings and move into something new, and fill those places with Christ and His love.

It's really cool when you look at it from that perspective - not only is it a great process but it's also incredibly practical and easy to put in our lives on a regular basis.

It's just taking that first step where we disregard our own desires and finally look fully towards Him.